Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cuteness


After being in a place for more than a year everything becomes normal. Where we live is no different. When I got here a year and 2 months ago I carried my camera everywhere and took pictures every day. There were a lot of "look at THAT" moments. I've found that there are fewer and fewer of those instances now.

I realized that this blog has become more about where we go instead of where we are. There aren't any rules against this or anything, but I thought to myself that I need to continue to look at things as if I haven't seen them before, not to forget some of the subtle differences about this country.

I've been meaning to post about this, but I've put it off for a while. There is a whole lot of cuteness in this country. I've gotten in to a married, adult, heterosexual man's car that was decked out in a Hello Kitty theme (seat covers, dashboard trinkets, steering wheel cover, etc.) One of my co-teachers, who I heard was a movie fan, told me he'd been watching the new Hanna Montana film. My director has a glitter sticker on his computer mouse. Seemingly, unless you are over the age of 60, you will engage on some level with cuteness.





The Korean DOT is no exception. Worksites that are moving around steel girders and dumping concrete rubble have signs like the ones below telling you to be careful. Be careful with what, my pink pen with the treasure troll on top? I haven't been able to get a picture yet, but there is a good one I see from time to time warning about rock blasting. The image has a cartoon bundle of dynamite with two Mickey Mouse hands telling you to "Look Out!" Yeah, a giant rock might flatten me like a pancake, let Disney tell me about it!

Our BANK has a Disney-esqu character telling us about our money.

I recently discovered that some of this may have trickled over from Japan, as they have cartoon mascots for each regions' police force. What a stark contrast from our culture where everything is so serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment